Home Hospice Care | April 13, 2023
What Do Hospice Volunteers Do?
Volunteering for hospice can be a very rewarding experience. Hospice volunteers share their talents and time with hospice organizations in a variety of ways.
What is hospice?
Hospice is a benefit for people facing life-limiting illness. The hospice team provides compassionate, comprehensive care focusing on personal goals and optimizing quality of life.
Why does hospice need volunteers?
Volunteers are so important to the hospice mission that the Medicare Conditions of Participation require hospice organizations to have volunteers to provide additional care and services to patients. Volunteers bring unique experiences, knowledge and skills that enhance the in-home hospice experience and support patients and their families.
What types of activities do hospice volunteers do?
Elara Caring hospice volunteers work with us in many different capacities.
Direct care volunteers visit patients wherever they call home. They can:
- Spend time and just be present.
- Read or play soothing music.
- Play games.
- Write legacy letters with the patient.
- Prepare meals.
- Do light housekeeping.
- Provide respite so caregivers can take a break.
- Offer pet therapy (with a certified pet therapy animal).
- Use their special skills, such as painting nails, giving a haircut or creating art.
Indirect patient volunteers donate their time and
- Attend community health fairs.
- Make gifts for patients, like cards.
- Bake or prepare snacks/meals to send to patients.
Bereavement volunteers work with our bereavement coordinators to support families after the death of their loved one. They:
- Assist with support groups.
- Call or follow up with families.
- Help with annual remembrance events.
Administrative volunteers work with our clinical operations team on activities like:
- Data entry.
- Assembling patient information packets.
- General clerical work.
How much time do I have to volunteer with hospice?
You can volunteer at Elara Caring as much or as little as you want. Our volunteer coordinators will work with you on schedule that fits your needs.
How do I learn more about volunteering at Elara Caring?
To learn more about Elara Caring’s volunteer opportunities or to apply online, head to the volunteer page on our website. You can also contact your local branch for more information.