In-Home Care: The Role of the Social Worker
Social workers play an important role in home care. They evaluate the emotional, mental and psychosocial needs of skilled home health and hospice patients, and they provide support and guidance to meet those needs appropriately.
Social work services include, but are not limited to:
- Helping patients navigate the healthcare system, including assistance with insurance paperwork, making decisions and goals for care, long-term care planning and completing advance directives
- Connecting patients with community resources, such as meals on wheels and financial assistance
- Providing emotional and relationship counseling to patients and families
- Advocating for patients to ensure their care wishes and preferences are honored
- Identifying areas of need, such as medication management or a home safety assessment, to help patients remain independent and safe at home
Patients and families can greatly benefit from the added support of a social worker. To learn more about the social work services Elara Caring provides to skilled home health and hospice patients, email email@example.com or visit our home health service locations to connect with the branch nearest you.